The Joy School Dilemma

We've been doing Joy School for Jackson with 5 other kids in the ward for 2 weeks now. I was a little apprehensive getting Jackson into this group because 4 of the 6 kids did Joy School last year and are a year older. PLUS...the 4 older kids are also girls and I DO believe this makes a difference in their ability to sit still and listen. Jackson loves going to Joy School but has a problem staying engaged. He gets bored and just starts running around. So now I'm trying to decide whether to keep taking him, knowing that the assistant teacher spends a lot of time just getting Jackson to sit down. I don't want the other moms to resent me for the distraction. I do feel like given time, Jackson will grow accustomed to the format and learn to sit and listen, but I don't know how long I can handle the "no, he did ok" response said with a telling sigh. I'm teaching next week so I think I will be able to make a new evaluation then, but then again he won't act the same when I'm there.

Maybe Joy School will turn into Home School...time will tell.

Comments

Monkey Pants said…
He's only 2!! I don't want to say he's not ready for joyschool, but there is a huge difference between 2 year olds and 3 year olds. If the othere Mom's can be understanding...leave him there. If you can find other 2 year olds...even better cuz those mom's would be more on the same page.
Monkey Pants said…
maybe he needs more of a play group than a preschool...I know, I know, finding other kids is the tricky part.

Where have you been? You're never online anymore!! I miss our deep thoughtful chats.
Seriously... said…
i'm so deliriously tired right now....i'll try to form sentences. I would just wait and see how things go when you teach, that way you can at least assess the other kids. Maybe see if there are other moms around with 2 year olds and you can form a little group? The group I have carson in is really just a glorified playgroup. We do things with letters, etc....but nothing that requires any sitting! Let me know how it goes :) Call me soon
k
krysta said…
I think I would also recommend a 2 year old group. Even if its just Jackson and another child. That way you can gear the lessons to that age group. I am in the nursery at church and that one little year makes a huge difference. Good luck.

I wish I could do joy school with you. I purchased the first session online, but am group-less.

Popular Posts