Dads

These three dads hold a lot of special meaning in my life. First of all, there's my dad. My dad was a pretty "tough" dad. He was always good to us, but also very business-like. I don't think I've every called my dad when he hasn't answered the phone, "John Jorgensen," in a deep, powerful voice. His business-like demeanor comes from a life of working very hard at everything he does. He is creating a wonderful legacy for us--one of hard work, strength in the church, importance of family, and frugality. I always had friends going on vacations and showing me pictures of all the nice hotels they've stayed in and I have to laugh when I think of some of the hotels we've stayed in (actually, mostly motels). To this day, dad looks for the best deal, not the best motel. But he never spares expense when it comes to making sure the family gets together. He's always willing to help us out so we can all be together, usually for the 4th of July. Along with this business side comes a very tender side though. He turns into a ball of mush around the grandkids...making up songs and making funny noises. The kids love him. I also rarely end a phone call without an "I love you," even if he's in a business meeting. I loved calling him to tell him we were having our little Jackson and hearing him tell everyone in the room. Thanks dad!!!! I love you!

The next dad to come into my life was Paul, Jake's dad. I've only known him for 7 years, 3 of which were at a great distance. Even so, Dad S. has become so important in my life. Luckily, I like the man, because his son is slowly but surely turning in to him! I really admire so much about him. He has such a fun, welcoming attitude. Every time anyone walks into their house you're greeted with a "WELCOME HERE!" Those words ring in my ears and bring a smile to my face. I sure hope Heavenly Father is as happy to see me when I get there as dad sounds! :) There is never a dinner conversation that is not wrought with some new thought or idea or exploration...something not so common at my house. I was always so intrigued by this and Jake and I would sometimes go over to the house for dinner, even after we'd eaten our own. After a prayer and an "Eet smakelijk!" we'd sit down to discuss the latest ideas or principles everyone's been "chewing on" during the day. What a great tradition...one I hope we continue in our own house as the kids grow and start analyzing...as is the Skousen way. I love you dad...and I love your "fancy pinky" in this pic! (That was such great food!!! Back to top...thanks dad!!)

And lastly, the man I made a father...my Jacob. My heart is so full right now (at least that's what I call it when my eyes sting with tears while I'm typing) as I find myself several hundred miles away from him. He's at home in NYC studying for the bar while the kids and I make ourselves scarce (yeah right...back to the top...thanks dad!) here at my parents in Missouri. Father's Day is just a "Hallmark Holiday" but I miss spending it with Jake. He's such a great dad and even though we celebrated together before we left, I still felt like we should be together. I could go on and on about what a great husband he is...or law student, ahem, I mean, graduate. But this is about being a dad...and he's great at it! I admire the balance he has found between friend and dad with Jackson. Jackson absolutely ADORES Jacob. Tonight we got Jake up on the computer via webcam and let the kids come say hi. Jackson couldn't get enough! He talks about Jake and has big plans for all the things they're going to do together when Jackson gets "big enough like daddy." Sydney is enamoured with him too, but in a boyfriend sort of way, not a buddy. She loves to flirt with him and cuddle. Of course, she likes to play him too. She knows how to get what she wants. :) Kate will follow in those footsteps I'm sure, but for now, Jake's voice does bring a smile to her face...the most we can ask from a 2 1/2 month old. But I'll say it for her anyway...I love you Jacob!!!

I'm so grateful for these 3 men who influence my life so much. Happy Father's Day!!


Posted by Picasa

Comments

That was such a sweet post! Jake really lucked out!
Pam Jorgensen said…
I loved this so I stole the idea for mine...thanks!

Popular Posts