The Big 3-2

Is it ok to call each birthday "the big x-x"? I suppose I shouldn't call it that. After all, there is nothing big about being 32. It feels no different than 31. I guess I do like being a nice, even number. In general I like the number 32 more than 31, but as an age, it's not significant. It did occur to me that it's been 16 years since my 16th birthday. I remember that birthday was such a big deal and it couldn't come fast enough. And now I'm TWICE that! There is something still magical about a birthday, just as there is with New Years. I get to start a new year in history..."when I was thirty two I..." I'll let you know when I have something interesting to complete that sentence with...but it's gonna be great. At least that's my plan! (FYI...this post was another "catch up." My birthday was actually on December 14th and we celebrated it in these photos on the 7th because we were in Utah on the 14th.)
This is the amazing cake Jake made for me. It was FABULOUS!!!!



Here's evidence of the yumminess on the inside...chocolate cake layered with stabilized cream...all seven layers!!!

The kids LOVED it!!!! Are you surprised??

I know you're all wondering about the recipe for this delightful cake, so here it is:

Chocolate Cream Cake
from Lion House Classics Cookbook

1 package devil's food cake mix
Chocolate Frosting (below)
Stabalized Whipping Cream (below)

Follow package directions, prepare and bake cake mix in two 9-inch round pans. Cool and split layers horizontally. (the original recipe only uses 3 of the 4 layers of cake and instructs you to freeze the 4th layer but we used all 4 and had PLENTY of cream) While cake is baking, prepare Chocolate Frosting and Stabilized Cream.

Chocolate Frosting
4 T. cocoa
3 C. powdered sugar
4 T. butter, softened
2-3 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

In mixing bowl, mix cocoa and powdered sugar. Add softened butter, milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.

Stabilized Whipping Cream
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 C. cold water
3 C. heavy whipping cream
3/4 C. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

In small saucepan, combine gelatin with water, let stand until thick. Stir constantly over low heat until just dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly but do not allow to thicken. In large mixing bowl, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until slightly thick. On low speed, gradually add gelatin, then beat on high until cream is thick.

To assemble cake: Place one layer of cake on serving plate. Spread evenly with half the Stabilized Whipping Cream, to within half an inch of the edge of cake. Place another cake layer on top of cream, then another layer of cream. Alternate cake and cream for a total of five layers (we made 7), ending with cake layer. Gently press down on top layer to set layers together. Frost entire cake with Chocolate Frosting.

Comments

Laura said…
That cake looks amamzing, but what really got my mouth watering is when I saw your mom's strawberry pretzel salad. YUM!!! I have good memories of that salad.
Celeste said…
Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you had fun - ask Jake to make one for me and send it to me... ;)

Popular Posts