More work-in-progress

I need some advice. Here we have photos of our living room fireplace. The frame in front is something Jake and I made to go around a mirror my friend gave us that will go above the fireplace. However, before I decide whether to actually hang it or "lean it" on the mantle, we need to beef up the mantle. It's something that's bothered me since we first looked at the house. It's a sorry excuse for a mantle on a fireplace this size. So the next picture shows the piece of wood I got last week from an Amish woodworking place...very simple, we're just going to paint it and put it right on top of what we already have.

Here comes the advice part. What color should we paint it? I don't really like the white that's up there now, but it would be easy just to stick with it. We could paint the whole thing dark, but then it wouldn't contrast the trim around the tile work. OR we could stain it similar to all the woodwork in the room, which you can see the color better in the picture of the thermostat and paint chips.

Lastly, I REALLY want to paint this room. You can see, it's a really warm brown right now, which it's not that I don't like the color, but the floors are brown and all the trim is brown and there isn't very good lighting in the room...so it just feels like a dirt cave in there. I'm thinking gray, which you can see in some of the pictures. Thoughts? Suggestions?





Comments

Tricia said…
Red is always a good accent color. I'm not sure how it would look with gray, but with the brown it would be nice.
Seriously... said…
so i'm in the middle of all of this and i'll throw my two cents in. I would either paint it white (kelly more swiss coffee is a good one, all our trim is that color), or stain it dark brown. i need to double check the name, but i think it's benjamin moore "silver song"...it's a nice color (i painted my kitchen). Or "vapor trails", it's a lighter version (my office and family room's color). I think it looks super nice with the white trim. anyway, that's my suggestion.
Seriously... said…
thank you for calling me skinny. the picture might be a bit of an illusion. though dustin thinks I've lost weight due to the stress of the renovation. I haven't weighed myself in months, but I don't think i've lost too much...yesterday I had cookie dough for breakfast and lunch (sugar cookie dough) and then decided to change things up a bit for dinner and went with chocolate chip. so...whatever. I am going to start dieting again soon though....when I start cooking again (right now it's strictly costco-meals and cookie dough for me). Can we do a girls-weekend and just meet in utah or something sometime?
Unknown said…
I'm no interior designer but I think the problem is the tiles. Those are too modern and dated (1970s or 1980s?). I'd pull down the tiles, put cobblestone on the floor, river-rock facade or stone tiles up the wall, and get a colonial-American period mantlepiece, multi-layered, heavy white gloss, much wider, and change "spartan" to "cozy and gracious." Yes, that's why I normally am not invited back into any discussion about design. Nevermind me, I'll go back to writing.....

Popular Posts