Easter Mayhem

Last year, Easter started like this...we got up early, I helped get Jackson and Sydney ready for church, they each got some Easter candy we had set out on the kitchen table, then we all headed out the door and walked down Kane St. to Clinton St. The kids and Jake continued walking to church on Court St. and I hopped in a cab, headed for St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital on 59th St. and Amsterdam. Our little Kate was there in the NICU, and the drs. had given us hope that we might be able to bring her home that day. (That was on March 23rd...she arrived on March 20th) Jake had to be at church because he was to do a reading for the Easter Program. Upon arriving at the hospital, I couldn't go into the NICU nursery because the dr's were in there on rounds, assessing all the babies. If you've never been to a NICU nursery...here's a little glimpse. It is full of tiny cribs, some open and some incubators...and usually a few big aparatuses for the REALLY tiny babies that have lots of tubes and monitors and stuff. Kate and Sydney both spent some time in the NICU, but I always kind of laughed because most babies are in there because they are premature while my girls were there because I'm diabetic and they both had issues with low blood sugar and jaundice...oh yeah...and Kate was almost 9 lbs. and Sydney was 10!!! So they look gigantic compared to all the other babies there. And because of the jaundice, they were both BRIGHT RED and really swollen...sort of reminiscent of Jack Jack when he's on fire in The Incredibles.

Anyway, on that Easter morning, I sat in the parents' room with lots of other moms, waiting to get in to see my baby and hear the doctor's evaluation. Some of these parents had been there every day for weeks or even months. I felt so bad for them! But luckily for us, when we went in to see the babies, all of Kate's bili-lights (the treatment for jaundice is UV lights) and all the monitors were off of her and she was just laying there peacefully. The nurse promptly told me Kate could go home! I was so happy! I called Jake to tell him he could come get us (he wanted to ride home in the cab with us) but he was still in church, waiting to read. So we had to wait there another 3 hours while he finished up, got home, pawned the kids off on the neighbor lady, sweet Aurea, finish fixing the cover on the car seat that Kate was to ride home in, and take a cab to us! Around 4:00 we finally made it home in the yellow taxi with our little Easter bunny Kate in tow and the kids got to see her for the first time. They were so excited! It was so cute to watch them. If you want to remember what that looked like...click here.

This year, no baby, but we did have a fun Easter with all the kids...and they didn't even remember that we didn't really celebrate last year! (phew!) The kids had so much fun finding their Easter baskets and eggs around the house. It was fun for me to hide it all, using all the same hiding places I remember finding eggs in when I was a kid.

Kate's basket was the first to be found and inspected.

Kate loved the grass.

Jackson had so much fun finding eggs. I think we'll have to do this activity throughout the year!

Jackson and Sydney helping eachother open the eggs so they can eat the candy along the way.

Sydney spots her basket!!

Last of all, Jackson finally finds his...

in the fireplace!

Sydney showing off her loot!

Frankenstein Bunny

Kate playing with Sydney's make up. I love it when babies crouch like this and their diapers touch the ground!

Comments

Tricia said…
Cute!! So, I assume Kate is walking!! When did she start? Was it the week after we left as I guessed?
Cheryl J. said…
Great pictures Jen! Makes me miss Moberly (and Grandma/Grandpa's house). I'm glad you had a happy day with your family!
Skousen # 4 said…
Poor Sydney looks like you beat her. Your kids are so cute. Great pictures.
Susanna said…
oh my goodness! look how big they all are. how can these little people change so quickly?

it's so good to hear from you. it looks like things are going well for you.

we miss you here though...
pmkennedy said…
How Fun!!! Its so fun to watch your kids grow, they have the most beautiful eyes. What an exciting year this has been for you guys! I can't believe how big Kate is, I'm sad that we're so far away and missing all of it. Keep the pics coming:)

Popular Posts