KATE JACQUELINE SKOUSEN

Jen and I have decided to name our newest little girl KATE JACQUELINE SKOUSEN. The name bears some explanation. It commemorates Kathy, my mom, and Jacqueline, Jen's mom. Jen and I are always amazed by our mothers. Both are tremendously hard working. They are endlessly attentive and concerned for our wellbeing. They gush love with everything they do. And both seem bulletproof - to me, anyway. I don't know what could possibly shake either of them. Well, maybe there's one thing: telling my mom I was, at 18, going into the Army seemed to get her attention. But only for a moment. I had to resort to that because jokingly telling her I was gay didn't do anything. She just laughed it off. "Rats, foiled again!" Maybe the Dr. Laura fiasco bugged Jackie but you wouldn't know it because, like I said, she's bulletproof. (If you don't know about it, ask her because I won't tell you - I'm still healing from the embarrassment I caused myself. Ah, good times.) Our mothers are amazing women and we hope Kate Jacqueline will live up to their example.

So as to avoid confusing the baby with Kathy, we decided to use Kate, a variant of Kathy. Her middle name, Jacqueline, will be spelled exactly like the original. You might ask why we didn't put Jacqueline first and Kathy second. Inevitably, a Jacqueline is called Jackie - Jen's mom is a case on point. So our baby and Jen's mom would end up both being called Jackie - confusing. Other variants wouldn't clear up the confusion because Jacqueline goes by all sorts of nicknames: Jack, Jackie, and others. Those nicknames also perk Jackson's ears and mine. That would mean confusion within the extended family and at home! Also, other variants didn't solve the problem of her name being something like "Jackie Kathy"; too much alliteration if you ask us.

By naming her as we have, we're balancing both the practicality of the name and the tribute that the names pay. The first and commonly used name is a distinct variant while the second and less commonly used name is exactly as the original.

And you thought we were just going to throw darts at a baby name book.

We expect friends and family might use Katie or even Katie-J, which is fine by us. Hopefully it's fine by her - you'll have to ask. Whatever she is called, her personality will fill out her name's meaning. We're excited to get to know that personality and for it to tell us what her name means.

Comments

HIJK Skousen said…
Joe and I LOVE the name!!!!! It is perfect. She is a cutie. Call us when you have some free time (which may not be for another month, and we COMPLETELY understand!).
Pam Jorgensen said…
You suck-up's!! No, really, we love, love, love it. I love shortening names down to one syllable, thanks for doing it for me.

We're so glad that Carson John now has his match...Kate Jacqueline.

Scott thinks she's also secretly a true "Angel" (Charlie's that is).

Well done!
Cheryl J. said…
I love it! Kate is one of my very favorite names! And Kate Jacqueline sounds adorable together!

BTW...THANK you for not naming her Babette...I was saying a secret prayer on Kate's behalf that she would be spared LOL :-)

We want to talk to you soon too, but are holding off so as to give your family time to bond together.

We love you!
The name is so cute! We love it. I can't wait to meet her for real. :)
HIJK Skousen said…
From your name description, I knew it was Jake writing. I also knew it was a lawyer writing and I think that if there were any potential for social fires sparked by your chosen names, you sufficiently extinguished them.

Joe
Seriously... said…
I love the name too.....i'm glad you were able to bring her home today...it's always so nice to have everyone under the same roof and get back to "real life". I'll try to catch you in the next few days. I"m sure you'll be busy....so maybe email comments is the best way to communicate until things calm down :) Congrats again....i want more pictures!!!!
Doney Days said…
I love, love, love her name! Hope you're feeling good Jen!
Celeste said…
What a gorgeous name! She is so cute! I wish we weren't so far away!
Stephanie said…
Congrats, Jake and Jen! She looks like a beautiful little sweetheart, and Jen, you look fabulous in the pictures! We are so happy for you guys, and love the name you picked. It's neat that you waited until she was born to find a fitting name. We'll have to try that one next time...
Such a beautiful name - had Nathan been a girl, she was to be named Annelise Jacqueline (My grandma's name and Christian's mom's name) So I definitely LOVE the name Jacqueline!! She is such a sweetie! Congrats!!
The Kirk Family said…
Your little girl is adorable and I love the name. You look so happy and healthy. I am glad everything went well and that the baby will be coming home. I can't wait to get our girls together. They are about a month apart. Take care and keep the pictures coming.

Popular Posts