Successes and failures

I thought I would record a few of these today...mainly for my "journaling" purposes, but also for others to get a glimpse into our crazy life.

First of all, Jackson is doing AMAZINGLY well with potty training...well, at least potty peeing. He's not done "the other" in the toilet even once. He usually either waits till I put on his pull-up for bed or just does it in his underwear. My mother-in-law suggested making him clean out his own underwear, but he thinks that's kind of fun so we'll have to think of some other punishment.

Last night I had the guy at the laundromat come pick up my laundry and push it there in our little city cart so I could take the stroller there to do the laundry with the kids. Sometimes I continuously put off the laundry and end up having to do it without Jake's help watching the kids. So we went. All was going well...I got the kids these little ice cream bites that kept them busy while I sorted and started the laundry. Then we went grocery shopping while the clothes were drying. The kids were TERRIBLE! I've heard horror stories of kids at the grocery store, and yesterday my kids proved they can hold their own with any other terrors. Our shopping carts are smaller than in most stores so once Sydney is in the front and Jackson is in the back, there is little room for food. However, I still manage to pack it full of groceries. Sometimes the kids are ok with this, but not last night. They both cried and complained the whole time...passing groceries back and forth, threatening to drop the spaghetti sauce, dropping apples, grabbing unneeded items and putting them in the cart, knocking items on the floor, etc. It was probably really entertaining watching me, the big pregnant lady, trying to keep up with all the commotion they were causing. I, however, was not laughing.

We had the groceries delivered, which usually means I have about 15 minutes to get home ahead of the delivery guy. I thought this might be enough time to stuff all my laundry BACK into bags to be delivered home. So I set about unloading all 6 dryer directly into bags, disregarding any attempt to avoid wrinkles. Meanwhile, Jackson is running back and forth from me to the front door. Sydney is letting out her "little" Tasmanian devil screams because she wants to run with Jackson. Jackson then begins to reprimand her every time he runs by her saying things like, "stop screaming...I'm serious...do you understand me?" and "if you don't stop screaming, Jackson will spank!" Unfortunately, I've heard those words somewhere before. Not something you like to hear repeated from your kids.

By the time we got home, the guy with the groceries was waiting at the door...and the laundry was being delivered right behind us. I had to try to get both kids up the stairs, get the door open to let the delivery men in and find money to tip them both...a fun task since I'd left my wallet downstairs in the stroller. Needless to say there was a little chaos. BUT...by 7:30 last night, all the laundry was dumped on the bed to be folded...still warm, the groceries were put away, the kids were fed and in bed and the chaos subsided.

Tonight...as the kids sat in their bath and played, I quickly checked my email. (For those who've been to our apartment, the bathroom is very close to our bedroom so I can clearly hear the kids playing and respond quickly.) After about 5 minutes I hear Jackson say, "mommy, don't come find us...just keep working on the computer." Words like that usually mean..."when you do find us, you're not going to like it." So I ran in there to find the bottle of baby soap with the lid off in the bath with them and a tub of disinfecting wipes in with them...the tub filled with water and the wipes floating (Luckily, there were only 3 or 4 left.). I proceeded to try to wash the soapy sludge off them, which made them both cry because then the soap that was all over them was washing into their eyes. I finally had to let all the water out and get clean water in there...while both of them cried about their eyes. Eventually, everyone was clean and out of the tub and in jamas...and everyone is now in bed.

Awesome.

Comments

Seriously... said…
it makes me tired just thinking about it!!! Aren't you so excited to have a CAR and a WASHING MACHINE?????? I don't know how you do it!!! I can't even do laundry at my own house :)
Oh my gosh, Jen...I was waiting for the end to come that said something like, "Now I am in the fetal position on the bed bawling." How did you not pull your hair out?!!! You are just amazing.
Celeste said…
WOW -- what a day. I can't imagine how you do it! I can hardly do it and I have a car and large grocery carts, and a washer and dryer. I'm thinking of you girl! We all have days like this, don't we?
Cheryl J. said…
I admire your patience Jen. I know it's a little tough right now, but it will get better. Getting a car and washing machine will make a HUGE difference in your life. Just a few more months of this.

Love ya!
Doney Days said…
Ok, I guess I can't complain too much abou tmy sick kids after reading that! I'm sitting in a hotel room across from DISNEYLAND in 70 (ish) degree weather. But I do have days like that too. You poor thing. I did laugh out loud though when Jackson said "don't come in here and see what we're doing." Classic. I really hope you're ok and I too am excited for you to have a car and your own washer and dryer!
Seriously... said…
Ok.....you need to post a picture of YOUR jr. high hair. I think everyone should. We should have national-blog-post-about-jr-high-hair day or something.

Popular Posts