Happy Birthday Mom!!



My mom is the most amazing woman I know. She's such a hard worker and she never does anything halfway. I always know if there is a project to be done, she will be in charge of it, making sure everything is done the right way the first time. When mom was here visiting us last time, she spearheaded the reupholstery of our couch. Looks amazing, doesn't it? Like I said...she never does anything half way. (She finished the couch cushions at home...and it killed her to leave it "undone.")

She's also the most helpful mom I know. In our family we have a running joke that my parents' house is "Rancho Relaxo" (a la The Simpsons) because when you're there, mom and dad do their best to make it a fun, relaxing vacation. Mom always asks what meals you want while you're there, she and dad love to (or at least pretend to) play with the kids...which is especially nice in the morning when we can catch an extra couple hours of sleep, they babysit the kids so we can go out on dates, and just make the whole trip to an otherwise ho-hum, small town, absolutely wonderful.

She has taught me so much. Most of it was by example because every time she tried to "sit me down" to teach me something, I usually didn't cooperate. I think I got that from her too. Anyway, through her example she taught me how to be a good wife and mother, how to be a leader, how to serve others, how to be selfless, how to be patient, how to clean a floor the right way--on my hands and knees...you get the idea.

Since we've lived in New York, my mom has come to visit us at least once a year and every time she comes I'm amazed at how much she is up for! This city is not for the faint of heart...or for the lazy. To make it here you have to walk everywhere and put up with a lot of inconveniences. She always keeps going and going...never letting me put her to shame. I love exploring the city with her because she enjoys the same things I do...just bumming around. We're both able to have fun just window shopping and walking. I'm glad she passed this trait along to me.

With both births of Jackson and Sydney my mom was right there to help as much as she could. She's stepped in whenever we've asked and we can't wait to have her here in 6 weeks for the next little one! She really has made our little family possible and I can't imagine doing it without her.

My mom means so much to so many people, but I'm so happy to be blessed enough to be one of her children. She has blessed my life in so many ways and I hope I can continue to return the favor...even if it's only sharing my funny kids with her.

After all this, you may wonder...just how old is your mom...walking all over the city like that, working as hard as she does. My beautiful mom is SEVENTY today! I'm so proud of her.

Comments

I would never guess your mom was 70!!! She is the greatest lady ever. Tell her I'm still sorry for sneezing on her mirror while brushing my teeth. :)
The Kirk Family said…
You have a great Mom! What would we do without our Mom's? My Mom and Dad have been so great about coming here to help take Fallon to all her swim meets. They usually last about 6 hours and that is way to long for a girl carrying twins. I haven't posted in a while because it is so uncomfortable to sit at the computer for too long. I found out today that my doctor will take the babies in a little over a week. I can't believe the time has finally come! Good luck with your pregnancy. You look great BTW.

VIV
Celeste said…
Happy birthday "mom!" -- What a great woman!! You are lucky -- and she is lucky to have such a great daughter! You're amazing!!
Doney Days said…
I just had to say that your belly looks so cute in the top picture. How are you feeling? BTW, my dad got an email from Paul the other day. It had a picture attached and it read "my daughter in law sent me this today from NYC. I wonder where it came from?" My dad showed me the email and the picture attached and there was my dad in his Topsy Turvy costume. I laughed so hard! He asked "how did this get out?" while blushing. I told my mom and sisters and we laughed so hard that we had tears. He also got an email from Brent about it. Too funny! I told my dad he can't be mad at me for putting it on my blog because he allowed me to take the picture!
Susanna said…
what a sweet post! I'm so glad you found mine. I love the other side of people's lives that their blogs show. How was Jackson's party?
Cheryl J. said…
I couldn't agree more! We are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom (me, by marriage).

My family is all in Moberly being spoiled (minus me as I had other commitments). Cookies awaited their arrival :-) I'm sure they are all sitting down for dinner having a wonderful roast (and maybe even strawberry pretzel salad if they are lucky).

She is the best!

Popular Posts