Jacob's THIRTY-ONE!!!


Yesterday was Jacob's 31st birthday! Friday night we had our friend Melanie Grover come over to watch the kids while we went to dinner at a trendy restaurant in SoHo called Prune. It was really fun, as we rarely go anywhere "fun" to eat. It was "New American" cuisine, so we tried things like bone marrow on toast for an appetizer (very rich), mussels, lamb, and butter cake made with orange blossoms. Jake described the latter as tasting like "gardenias." It was definitely an experience, and as we contemplate our eventual departure from this fun city (more details to come on that subject), I'm certainly glad we did it. And what better reason than my sweetheart's birthday?!

Saturday Jake had to study in the morning but that night I made fillet mignon (we got a screaming deal on an entire fillet roast around New Years so we froze a bunch of steaks), mashed potatoes, and Cinnamon pound cake with stewed peaches. The kids were so excited to have a birthday party. Jackson sang "Happy Birthday" several times. He and Sydney also made a crown and sign for daddy to wear. I told Jackson we should write "Happy Birthday Daddy" on the hat and he said, "Jacob doesn't like words, he just likes colors."

But really I want this entry to be about Jacob, and not what we did on his birthday. He really is an amazing person and I want everyone to know why I think so. SO...to steal an idea from my friend, Kendra, I'm going to make a list.

31 Reasons Why I Love Jacob...on his 31st Birthday

1. He has a fun, boisterous laugh.
2. His big, luscious lips he has so graciously shared with our kids.
3. He has lust for excitement and adventure.
4. He loves good chocolate...and so do I!
5. He loves to dream big.
6. He's more creative than I am. In the past 3 years he's made a kevlar plated backpack, a leather briefcase, badger fur gloves, and countless small projects with Jackson.
7. He gets up and WALKS to school everyday...even through rain, snow, or worse, sweltering, humid heat!
8. He eats a bowl of ice cream almost every night.
9. He does projects with Jackson.
10. He can fix anything...well, so far!
11. He's Sydney's favorite.
12. He helps me maintain my diabetes without being condescending.
13. He makes me feel good about myself...even while I'm fat and pregnant.
14. He sings to Jackson and Sydney even though he never sings any other time.
15. He's faster at getting the laundry done than I am.
16. He's going to practice law even though I know he'd rather own a kite shop in Maui.
17. He's supportive of anything I try to do.
18. He likes to look nice & notices when I do too.
19. He acts excited about everything the kids have to tell him, even after a long day.
20. He likes to get popcorn at the movies.
21. He gives great pedicures.
22. He likes diet coke too.
23. He's protective of me and our family.
24. The look on his face when he tells me about a new project idea and asks if he can do it.
25. He can pick up our double stroller and carry it up and down the subway stairs.
26. He never lets me feel embarrassed about anything.
27. He's very intelligent & determined.
28. He has an amazing speaking voice and public presence. I once had a friend ask if he was a professional speaker after he gave a Sunday School lesson.
29. He tries hard at everything he does.
30. He's the only person in the world that loves our kids as much as I do, agreeing that they are, in fact, are the cutest and smartest.
31. Every time I say "I love you" he says "I love you more."


Comments

Skousen # 4 said…
Holy sholy bagoly. Who is that teenage kid the those pictures? Jackson is huge. Oh I hope Jake had a good Birthday. I wish we could have been there to give him some love.
krysta said…
What a tender, well written tribute. Happy Birthday Jake!
Doney Days said…
Happy Birthday Jacob! You're an old man and I'm almost an old woman! So what's this you say about leaving NYC?
Pam Jorgensen said…
You young wippersnappers! 31 isn't so bad! Scott will be 40 this year!

Happy Birthday Jake!! Glad you're joining us back in the west!
Thanks for writing that Jen! I didn't know some of that stuff about Jake. He's a great guy! Of course, you know that, I'm just reminded.
Jake - I forgot you and Christian have the same birthday! How does it feel to be officially in your 30's and not just dangling at the end of your 20's?
Happy Birthday!
Celeste said…
Awe -- SOOO sweet! Happy Birthday Jake! You are getting sooo old... :) Hope you had a great day!
I never thought about it, but they are a lot alike - when I reread what I wrote about Christian, I could see a lot of Jake there - especially the gun thing. Christian owns like 5 and almost always has one on him! Anyway, we must be alike, because we both got such cute husbands!! So what's this I hear about you guys moving?

Popular Posts